History of the Highway Book Shop
Highway Book Shop has been in operation since 1957 under the continuous ownership of Dr. Douglas C. Pollard. Starting small, as a printing shop, the business rapidly developed away from printing and into book sales. Printing became prominent again when publishing began in the early 1970s. Many subjects were chosen for publishing, but the preservation of local history soon became Highway Book Shop's main thrust.
Celebrating 50 years in 2007, the Book Shop has developed into a sizeable enterprise. Besides publishing and the retail book store itself, it also maintains a web site posting some 100,000 titles, with multiple copies of many used and out-of-print books, and as many titles again for sale in the store.
Customers are invited to see the catalogued collection which is listed on the web, as well as to browse and choose from the many sections in the store. Search and mail-order services are in operation, and orders can be placed by telephone.
Now Highway Book Shop is for sale. Hopefully, new owners will continue to operate it as a part of the northern community in which it grew, and of which it is now an integral part. When sale of the business takes place, that news will be announced in this section of our web site.
Lois Pollard's history of the HBS is now out and available. Click here to see full details.